On Campus Services
Hibbing Community College acts as liaison with the Veterans Administration for individuals who wish to use their veterans benefits to attend the college.
In this section, you will find information for prospective students, transfer students, and current students. Students apply for educational benefits after being accepted to the college. Students must state the same educational objective in making application both to Hibbing Community College and the Veterans Administration. Enrollment Certifications are electronically transmitted to the regional VA office, which allows the veteran to receive the monthly benefit check sooner.
Credit Load Requirements
(For Fall and Spring Semesters only)
12 or more credits=full-time (full-time for summer is 6 credits)
9 - 11 credits=three-quarter time
6 - 8 credits=one-half time
5 credits or less-tuition only
While in attendance at Hibbing, you (the veteran) are responsible for reporting all changes of your credit load or clock hours.
- Initial processing for your VA ED benefits application is 10-12 weeks.
- Your enrollment will be certified after contacting the Certifying Officials of your registration.
- Veterans may have their tuition deferred until receiving their VA Education benefits
- Book deferments are not available
Veterans Services Office Hours
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Kari Doucette, Veterans Certifying Official
1515 E. 25th St
Hibbing MN 55746
Prospective Student Information
In order to qualify for veterans benefits, you will need to apply for Regular Admission to the college. Please note that students applying under Non-Degree Seeking status will not be eligible for veterans benefits. Regular admission requires the following steps be completed:
- Complete and submit the General Application Form.
- You must submit official high school transcripts.
- If you attended college previously, you must have official college transcripts from all previously attended schools sent to Hibbing. If you have 42 college credits or more the high school transcript requirement is waived.
- Immunization Form (if born after 1956)
- Complete the assessment tests at Hibbing Community College, contact Michelle at 262-6764.
You should complete your VA application online at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp after you have completed your application for admission to the college. Simply complete the Application of Education Benefits (form 22-1990)online, obtain a copy of your DD-214 and return a copy of the online application and DD-214 to Kari in Student Services.
For those in the reserves, a Notice of Basic Eligibility is required, which is available from your commanding officer or unit. If you have any questions regarding the application process, please call 218-262-6735 or email the Veterans Certifying Official at email@example.com
If you are pursuing the same program, you may change your place of training without restriction provided your progress and conduct are satisfactory, and the transfer can be made without substantial loss of credit.
Application must be made through Regular Admission and you must be accepted to Hibbing. Official transcripts of all college work must be sent to Hibbing for an evaluation of transfer courses.
A "Change of Place in Training" request can be filed with the Veterans Administration electronically through Hibbing or you may fill out the Change of Place in Training VA form and submit it to the Veterans Certifying Official.
Current Students - Student Responsibilites
Declaring or changing a program
You must state the same educational objective (program) in making application to both Hibbing and the Veterans Administration. If you change your program, please contact the Veterans Coordinator for notification to the Veterans Administration. The law permits one change of program without prior approval if your attendance, conduct, and progress in the last program was satisfactory. VA may approve additional changes if the proposed programs are suitable to your abilities, aptitudes, and interests. VA will not charge a change of program when you enroll in a new program provided you successfully completed your immediately preceding program.
Applying for VA Education Benefits
After Applying for admission to Hibbing Community College, go to www.gibill.va.gov. Complete a VA online application (VONAP). If you are unsure of which chapter of VA you are, see description below of the different chapters of Educational Benefits or ask the VA Certifying Official.
- Chapter 30 - Former Active Duty
- Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 33- Post 9/11 on Active duty after 9/10/2001
- Chapter 35 - Survivor/Dependent
- Chapter 1606 - Guard/Reserve
- Chapter 1607 - Guard/Reserve (Activated after 9/11/2001)
In order to prevent delays in receiving your benefits, it will be necessary for you to comply with the following:
- Follow courses that are within your major. If you change your major inform the VA Certifying official (contact is above).
- Report your registration, changes, or withdrawals to the HCC VA Certifying Official.
- Submit a copy of your VA form DD-214 to the certifying official.
- Monthly verify your attendance to the VA on the WAVE, (presently CH 33 is exempt from monthly verification) WAVE call in number 1-877-823-2378, on set up a WAVE account at www.gibill.va.gov.
- Any questions or concerns please contact the HCC VA certifying official or VA online at www.gibill.va.gov (use Ask a question) or call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
Links to Information for Veterans:
- Verify Enrollment - WAVE or 1-877-823-2378
- Payment Rates Table
- Questions about inaccurate payments- www.gibill.va.gov. Select "Ask a Question"
- Chapter 33 Benefit Calculator
- St. Louis County Veteran Services